Friday, August 6, 2010

I've been thinking a lot lately about this. Branding. So far I have not come up with a stamp or brand. I want to. But, I don't want to rush into it. I don't want to hastily just make something and then a short time later realize it's not me, it's not what I stand for. I see too many new photographers just put a blah strip of white that says, "John Doe Photography" and there's not a single thing that's memorable about it. Not one thing. It's not catchy, it's not pretty, it's a nobody font and it makes me cringe a little. Rae will probably be proud to know I think/feel this way about this subject. I also see smart, sassy, established photographers who have thought about it and it shows! I can tell it's who they are, it's a passion, it's something I picture even when I'm away from their page or blog, its memorable!

So, this is something I've thought about for months now. Should I have a name, or use my name? I want people to be able to know me, my name, however I feel that's rather dull. I think about it, and then just sweep it out of my mind. And then I think to myself, "I'm hoping one day, it will just hit me and I'll know what I'm suppose to do and I'll never second guess that choice."

The other thing is that I am not really doing photography right now anyway. Just doing it for fun, on the side or for friends. I am very much enjoying learning and teaching myself slowly. I want to be sure I know what I'm doing and what I'm selling someone. I don't want to do it half way and then look at my work and say to myself, "I'd never pay for that!" I want to know what I am, who I am and what I'm selling is more then worth it some day.

I have some very fun blogs that I follow that are written by well established photographers. It's so fun to see how sure of themselves they are and that they know their stuff and they mostly taught themselves. It's a slow, enjoyable, leaning and frustrating at times journey for me:)

Let me know if you have thoughts or ideas. I'm always open to the thoughts of great minds:)




2 comments:

Jody Blue said...

I do think it is a good idea, but have no ideas:)

Rae said...

I have ideas... I always have ideas and even know branding... send me your snail mail address I have a magazine to send you that talks about the creative process.

If you want we can brainstorm on this.

Rae